This is no travel writing contest for romantic prose or inspirational stories of finding yourself. No, the Road Junky 2008 Gonzo Travel Writing Contest is looking for your worst stories, ones that make the reader cringe and say “wow, they made it through that!” Trips from hell, near-death experiences, tales of robbery and assault… it’s up to you to come up with the worst, and if you do, you could win $400.
1. Stories should be between 850-1500 words and send as .doc or .rtf files
2. No fiction
3. Enclose your name, age and nationality
4. Get to know Road Junky before you submit so that you know what kind of voice they’re looking for.
5. Deadline is December 31, 2008
6. If you do win, you will retain copyright but you will allow Road Junky exclusive rights, meaning you shouldn’t submit something you already wrote for somewhere else.
Email submissions to editor[at]roadjunky[dot]com with the words “2008 Travel Contest” in the subject.
What you can win:
First prize- $400
Second prize- $200
Third prize- $100
More info here.